Subscribe to LFO' s Blog
unHeritage – 11 Pitfalls to Family Legacy and How to Avoid Them
“unHeritage is definitely the lighthouse for protecting your family and wealth for generations. This book is a must read for anyone interested in legacy planning.” Enzo Calamo
Center for Family Conversations
The Center for Family Conversations (CFC) is a resource center that provides the integral tools and ideas in helping families establish a 100-year-plus Family Legacy Plan.
THE TYCOON PLAYBOOK – How Business Empires Are Built
The Tycoon Playbook course was created for business families who are already running a successful business and wish to ramp up their growth while preserving wealth for future generations. Specifically, the Playbook teaches high performance business owners the two most highly rewarded skills in business, namely deal-making and how to acquire cash flow producing business assets.
TORONTO – More than nine in 10 Canadians follow the example of reformed miser Ebenezer Scrooge and give to charity every year, but experts advise taking a page from his tightwad ways and treat those charitable donations like an investment.
Marijuana sellers become more ingrained in their communities by donating profits to nonprofits.
Bill Gates, speaking to AEI’s Arthur Brooks, says need should not lead to inaction in finding a charitable cause to assist. Many first-time volunteers can help close to home.
The cycle of giving | Treana Peake Treana Peake how one small action can have an unknown but lasting impact. Our acts of kindness have enormous capacity to carry on far beyond the actual moment of giving, and that what we experience in these generous moments is only the beginning. As the founder and creative designer of the luxury fashion line Obakki and its philanthropic counterpart, the Obakki Foundation, Treana Peake has fused her lifelong passions together to create engaging and innovative philanthropy. By giving fashion a purpose and applying creativity to development work, Peake is tilting the landscape of generosity and pioneering a new type of fundraising model, one that is both dynamic and inspiring. As the creative designer and founder of the luxury fashion line Obakki and its philanthropic counterpart, the Obakki Foundation, Treana Peake has fused her lifelong passions together to create engaging and innovative philanthropy. The Obakki Foundation has delivered over 600 water wells and built 12 schools in South Sudan and Cameroon, leading to self-sustainable growth in countless communities, and garnering recognition and endorsement by the UN in the process. Peake’s leadership in fashion through Obakki has also received widespread acclaim through international publications such as Vogue UK and Elle, and her contemporary, sophisticated designs have been spotted on celebrity devotees such as Gwyneth Paltrow and Kate Hudson. By giving fashion a purpose and applying creativity to development work, Peake is pioneering a new type of fundraising model, one that is both dynamic and inspiring.
The power of us | Mari Kuraishi How does a World Bank employee go on to co-found a charitable organization that funds human aid around the globe? Mari Kuraishi tells the story of Global Giving. Mari co-founded GlobalGiving with Dennis Whittle, and currently leads the organization. In 2011, Mari was named one of Foreign Policy’s top 100 Global Thinkers for “crowdsourcing worldsaving.” Before GlobalGiving, she worked at the World Bank where she managed and created some of the Bank’s most innovative projects including the first ever Innovation and Development Marketplaces, and the first series of strategic forums with the World Bank’s president and senior management. Mari also designed a range of investment projects in the Russia reform program, including a residential energy efficiency project, structural adjustment loans, and legal reform project. She currently serves as chair of the board of the Global Business School Network and on the board of Guidestar US. In addition to her native Japanese, Mari also speaks Russian, Italian, and French. She has an undergraduate degree in history from Harvard University and did graduate work in Russian and Japanese history and politics at Harvard and Georgetown Universities. Mari also completed the Advanced Management Program at Harvard Business School.
Excellence Through Generosity | Gilmore Junio WHY YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO GILMORE JUNIO? Olympic Speed Skater, Gilmore Junio shares his personal story of generosity and how building a culture of selflessness can lead to personal excellence. Junio recounts the story of how and why he gave up his place in the 1000 metre Olympic final in Sochi 2014 to his teammate who won the Silver Medal for Canada. Gilmore teaches us that we have more to win when we are generous. In the summer of 2010, Gilmore Junio was named to Canada’s Long Track Development Team, and that fall he found himself travelling the globe racing for Canada at World Cups. Three years later he was ranked 8th in the world with a World Cup Silver medal, and just a year after that he found himself representing Canada at the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia. But despite his accomplishments on the track, it was was what he did off the track at those Olympics that resulted in Junio’s receiving a champion’s welcome upon his return home to Calgary. After teammate Denny Morrison fell and failed to qualify for the men’s 1000 m, he received a text message from Junio, who decided to withdraw so that Morrison could have the opportunity to race instead. Morrison went on to win the silver medal in that race, giving Morrison his fourth ever Olympic medal, equaling Gaetan Boucher for the most medals by a Canadian male long track speed skater.
Revolutionising Charity | Cassandra Treadwell Cassandra shares a personal story of discovery and invites us all to come down from our white horses and dance with the zebras. Cassandra is a philanthropist, lawyer, entrepreneur, global citizen, yogi, artist, and mother. Cassandra gained her masters in medical law and ethics from King’s College, London. She enjoyed living overseas before returning to Wellington to raise her four children in the nurturing community she grew up in. She loves living in New Zealand for the outdoor lifestyle it enables. During a year in Argentina aged 16, Cass saw poverty for the first time. The injustice sculpted her career choices. Later, as a new mother this empathy saw her return to communities in Africa she met travelling and determine to improve the lives of those who suffered from political violence. Working in Africa as CEO of So They Can, she gains so much from the communities she works with. They have taught her to be grateful for what she has got, to live in the present, the value of Ubuntu (I am because of you) and the importance of global balance.
A new set of vectors now surround donors. Akin to the vectors of physics, these new vectors include the tendency of donors to (1) seek out rather than resist venues for charitable giving, (2) approach their philanthropy entrepreneurially, meaning they seek personally to make a creating and distinctive impact, (3) consider that care for the needs of others is a path for their own self-fulfillment, and (4) view philanthropy as a key ingredient of the financial morality they wish to live and impart to their children. These vectors increasingly become allies, not enemies to overcome. They represent how material and spiritual wherewithal come together as a more important aspect of moral biography for a larger number of individuals. In my view, people are inclined to seek happiness; and therefore live a gospel of life. Second, they are their own best teachers since they have to internalize the meaning and goals of life, including philanthropic decision, for themselves. Finally, there is a new inclination for people to see how their gospel of life is directly connected to financial care and philanthropy: for themselves, their children, their churches, and their world. Why People Give Using the New Physics of Philanthropy? 1) Discernment Discernment in the realm of philanthropy has a two-fold mission: to help people discern from their own perspective their financial capacity and their charitable aspirations, that is their empowerment and moral compass. To accomplish this without the imposition of law, discernment needs to be exercised in an atmosphere of liberty and inspiration. There are several steps in carrying out the conscientious self-reflection and decision making associated with spiritual discernment. First, discernment helps individuals to uncover for themselves their financial capacity by clarifying their resource stream and their expense stream. Discernment around the resource stream clarifies what financial resources are available now and in the future. Discernment around the expense stream clarifies what resources are needed to achieve the standard of living individuals’ desire for themselves and their children. This requires conscientious considerations about current and future consumption. Any positive gap between resources and expenses provides a potential for charitable giving, and relative financial security, and liberates an inclination towards charitable giving. 2) Identification Through hundreds of interviews with wealth holders and middle income individuals, I have found that the key motivation for charitable giving is not selflessness but the identification of self. Our modern notion of altruism was developed in part to counter the utilitarian concept of human nature revolving around the rational calculation of self-interest. A deeper alternative is to think about the quality of self rather than the absence of self. Thomas Aquinas suggests a different way to rethink the issue of self. Rather than eliminating the self, Aquinas speaks instead about the unity of love of God, love of neighbour, and love of self. The key is the identification of my self with the fate of others as if it were my own. 3) Gratitude By probing further into “why people give” with the question, “Why are you grateful?” […]
Enzo Calamo Is A Best Selling Author
Enzo Calamo is the Best Selling co-author of "How To Create Infinite Returns In Real Estate Using The Secret Asset: How To Recover All Business and Personal Expenses Using The Secret Asset" This is a must read for every affluent investor.
Enzo Calamo Is A Gold Award Curator
Scoop.it describes Enzo Calamo "as a rock star of content curation."
Lugen Family Office is the Most Trusted Online Curator on Legacy Planning, Wealth Management, Financial Literacy, Family Business, Philanthropy, Technology Trends, Healthy Living, and the UHNW.
ALL POSTS ARE CURATED BY ACTUAL EXPERTS!
Check out our 11 Gold Award UHNW Newswires.
- The ‘blackmail’ allegations in the £132 million Candy brothers lawsuit could not be weirderMarch 1, 2017
- Warren Buffett’s reason for investing in Apple should be music to Tim Cook’s earsMarch 1, 2017
- Trump’s win is making Oprah reconsider whether she could be presidentMarch 1, 2017
- It costs about $200,000 an hour to operate Air Force One — here’s why it’s so expensiveMarch 1, 2017
- Trump says 94 million Americans are out of the labor force — that’s true if you include teens and grandmaMarch 1, 2017
- Trump goes presidential in first major address to Congress: ‘The time for small thinking is over’March 1, 2017
- $120M in counterfeit designer cosmetics seized in China – NaturalNews.comMarch 1, 2017
- Why the Ultra-Wealthy Will Flock to London Even as Brexit BitesMarch 1, 2017
- Cuban cigar sales rise, defying flat luxury goods marketMarch 1, 2017
- Vietnam bank tycoon, former executives face trial over $66 mln losses – VnExpress InternationalMarch 1, 2017
- Billionaire Philip Green Agrees To Pay $450 Million To BHS Pension FundMarch 1, 2017
- The Aquila Villa is Thailand’s New Dream GetawayMarch 1, 2017
- For Sale: the World’s First Flying CarMarch 1, 2017
- The Macallan Releases a New Scotch Destined to Be Collected and CovetedMarch 1, 2017
- The World’s Most Expensive Taco Is a $25,000 DelightMarch 1, 2017
- Oceanco Reveals 120-Meter Superyacht AmaraMarch 1, 2017
- The American Dream has moved to Canada – Macleans.caMarch 1, 2017
- 7 Failures That Helped Richard Branson Become a MultibillionaireFebruary 28, 2017
- A Delivery Man Just Became One of the Richest People in ChinaFebruary 28, 2017
- Number of super-rich set to rise by 43pc in the next decadeFebruary 28, 2017
- As A Place To Invest, Canada’s Been Kicking Butt For 117 YearsFebruary 28, 2017
- Canadian Inflation Jumps As Carbon Taxes Come Into ForceFebruary 28, 2017
- World’s Rich Are In A Great Migration And Canada A Top DestinationFebruary 28, 2017
- Billionaire investor Wilbur Ross confirmed as Trump’s secretary of commerceFebruary 28, 2017
- UK’s ultra-rich set to grow by a third in 10 years – BBC NewsFebruary 28, 2017
- Anthony Bourdain’s 1 Rule for Workplace HappinessFebruary 28, 2017
- Psychology Says This Is the Top Contributor to Happiness (It’s Not What You Think)February 28, 2017
- 9 Traps You Fall Into That Limit Your HappinessFebruary 28, 2017
- The World Happiness Summit: Making Happiness a ChoiceFebruary 28, 2017
- How to Redesign Your Life for Success and HappinessFebruary 28, 2017
- Retirement Spending Strategies to Maximize HappinessFebruary 28, 2017
- Tiffany Trump ‘soon to be within’ the Trump family business, Donald Trump Jr. saysFebruary 28, 2017
- 5 Oscar-Worthy Dress Watches for Your Next Black-Tie GalaFebruary 28, 2017
- The Robb Report Man’s Guide to SpasFebruary 28, 2017
- Three of Milan’s Most Essential Men’s Bespoke TailorsFebruary 28, 2017
- Rock Stars Sammy Hagar and Adam Levine Launch the First Tequila and Mezcal BlendFebruary 28, 2017
- This 1934 Alfa Romeo Racer Placed First in Price at the RM Sotheby’s Paris SaleFebruary 28, 2017
- 10 Speakers that Cost More than a FerrariFebruary 28, 2017
- Phil Mickelson Has Made An Absolutely Ridiculous Amount Of Money During His Golf CareerFebruary 28, 2017
- Andrey Melnichenko’s Giant $400M Yacht Impounded By Gibraltar Port AuthorityFebruary 28, 2017
Lugen Family Office Proudly Supports AIP
The International Association of Advisors in Philanthropy is the leading charitable giving organization in the world for inspiring collaboration among professionals.
AIP Ambassador, Past President
LFO Website Statistics