The Values Based Family Office for Intergenerational
Lugen Family Office is a values based Family Office that helps empower family business dynasties. We collaborate with affluent families and successful family businesses to help them move from success to significance.
What is the Seven Generation Legacy Process?
In today’s society, it is very easy to think that estate planning or succession planning are only applicable to your immediate nuclear family or financial wealth. However, as Thich Nhat Hanh reminds us:
“If you look deeply into the palm of your hand, you will see your parents and all generations of your ancestors. All of them are alive in this moment. Each is present in your body. You are the continuation of each of these people.”
With the Seven Generation Legacy Process, the goal is to take a long term perspective of where you want your family and business to be in 200 years. Obviously, chances of you, or any of your immediate generation family members, surviving this full cycle are slim. Therefore, your objective with the Seven Generation Legacy Process is to plant the seeds of success and significance today for future generations.
The best way to visualize the Seven Generation Legacy Process is as follows:
1) Respecting Traditions: Keep alive the memories and stories of past generations, along with the important values and traditions that you and your family are currently following and respect.
2) Utilizing, Documenting, and Preserving Best Practices: Every member of your family has unique abilities and gifts that contribute to your family’s success. It is important that you develop a process to properly utilize, capture, and preserve those gifts for the current and future generations. It is folly to presume that your family will have these unique strengths easily available within future generations.
3) Finding Common Ground: In order to bring together your current family, and keep future generations unified, it is critical to find common ground that everyone is willing to support. Becoming a significant inter-generational family requires a higher purpose that all family members are willing to work towards.
4) The Whole is Greater than the Sum of its Parts: Too often families confuse material success with true wealth. Just because one particular family member earns more money, or accumulates more material wealth, than other family members, it is important to remember that material wealth cannot be taken with you once you pass on. True wealth involves creating a pooled resource for the family, also known as the family’s culture, that captures each family member’s unique abilities, the various family life stories, intellectual capital, financial capital, experiential capital, relationship capital, and spiritual capital.
5) Life is the Ultimate Gift: Unfortunately one of the biggest crises of our time is that human life is being devalued in relationship to material wealth. In reality, every living being is already a trillionaire, at least in the living cells that create your body. It is important to remember that your treasure is meant to support your time and talent so you can fulfill your life purpose. Unfortunately, too many families have fallen into the trap of using their time and talents to solely accumulate worldly treasures.
6) Focus on the value of the Legacy you will leave behind versus the value of what you own: Whether or not a family member focuses on their legacy is irrelevant since everyone leaves behind a legacy. How do you want to be remembered by your loved ones, your community, and future generations? Live each day as if it were your last, doing the things that will make a difference, since one day you will be right!
7) Make a Choice and move Onward and Upward: Seize the day! Live with passion. Make each decision count regardless of the outcome. Every second that ticks by in your life s a second that will never return and has been spent forever. Make a difference in the world each day and fulfill your life purpose by sharing your gifts with others.
Our value proposition is simple…
- We utilize our proprietary Seven Generation Legacy Process to rapidly expand your capabilities, productivity, and profitability by adding innovative financial, business, health, and relationship resources to your family and business.
- We share the core principles used by other successful affluent families and profitable businesses so that you can quickly duplicate the results. However, all information is provided in a generic manner so that we can keep CONFIDENTIAL and SECURE all our clients private information and secrets.
- We help you build a championship team and culture, while saving you time and money, by tapping into our strategic partners.
- We enhance trust and productivity within your family and business by strengthening and aligning appropriate behaviours within your most important relationships.
- We customize our services and resources to meet your specific family and business needs.
- We keep your team focused on what you value rather than focussing on the value of what you own.
Our Unique Process:
Discovery: Identify and think about the problem
The first phase begins by identifying vision and goals. This is called the Discovery phase and this is where we identify your vision and goals to gain clarity around the current planning gaps.
Creative Solutions: Think about the solution
The second phase is the Creative Solutions phase. In this phase we collaborate and discuss solutions to close the planning gaps that have been identified.
Strategy Deployment: Implement the solution
The third phase is the Strategy Deployment phase. In this phase we implement the solutions specifically designed to close the planning gaps necessary to accomplishing the goals.
Results Management: Manage the results
The final phase is the Results Management phase. In this phase we established a plan to manage and sustain the results, providing the confidence the plan will work over time.Lugen Family Office is your strategic partner in bringing together world class experts, tacticians, and strategists, along with other appropriate resources, to inspire you to live your life with passion, productivity, profitability, and purpose.
Benefits of the Lugen Family Office Approach
- Advice is provided with a complete understanding of how specific objectives align with family values
- Services are provided to the entire high net-worth family
- Our process ensures that all advisors work together in a coordinated manner toward an integrated wealth strategy
- Combined purchasing power allows for reduced costs
- Investments and risk management are managed to preserve and grow the overall family net worth
Understanding The Legacy Pyramid
The foundation of the pyramid is “Financial Independence”. This is how much money you need for your own peace of mind so that you, and your loved ones, can do whatever you want, whenever you want, however you want, while living your dreams and fulfilling your life purpose. “Family Legacy”, the second level, is what you want to do for your family while you are alive or through your estate. The top level is your “Social Capital Legacy”, what you want to do for others to make the world a better place.
Therefore, it is critical to put first things first. By understanding your values and your dreams, we help you design your life so that Financial Independence is achievable. Then the question becomes how do you want to allocate your remaining resources, either while alive or at death, between enhancing family lifestyle, protecting your family’s future, and helping others to make a difference in the world. By collaborating with Lugen Family Office, you can now retain a strategic partner to guide you through these important life issues in a respectful and trustworthy manner.
“There are few in the world of estate planning as committed to learning and teaching as Enzo. His prolific on-line presence and commitment to helping families manage more than wealth, is inspiring. Indeed, hIs commitment to understanding the interplay between wealth and family has earned him an international reputation as a bone fide thought leader on the subject. More than just a thinker, Enzo is a practitioner with unparalleled integrity.”
Tom Deans, Ph.D.
“I have worked with Enzo for 11 years. He is a very gifted individual. Enzo has been an inspiration to me and many others with his creativity and broad knowledge of the financial world, the philanthropy world, and too many other worlds to mention.
I love Enzo’s enthusiasm for every project he gets involved in. I contend that anyone who meets or works with Enzo will be better for the experience.
He is truly a Renaissance man for the 21st century!!”
Chris Jacob, President, Cadeau
“Enzo is one of the most passionate people I have ever met. He has an amazing vision for creating an opportunity where families can discover, communicate and sustain a lasting legacy across generations.”
Todd Fithian, President, The Legacy Companies
“Enzo is passionate about helping people. His technical knowledge and his ability to understand human issues is a rare combination that allows him to provide great value to his clients.”
Barry Van Steeg, Vice President Tax and Estate Planning at Owens MacFadyen Group
“Enzo is known for his excellent service and desire to do what is right for his client.”
Paul Reaburn, President & CEO, AEGON Canada
“Enzo has a unique combination of expertise, passion and innovative ideas. If you are looking for someone to work with that will challenge you traditional way of thinking and guide you to the next level then he would be an excellent choice.”
Mark Colgan, CFP
“Enzo Calamo has a passion for assisting families to preserve and grow not only their financial wealth but more importantly the four other dimensions of wealth: their human capital, intellectual capital, social capital and health and wellness capital. I have served with Enzo on the Board of the International Association of Advisors in Philanthropy. He works tirelessly and effectively. He is making a huge impact throughout the advisory world in helping us raise the awareness among serving professionals about the importance of Purposeful Planning. Thank you Enzo for all you do.” February 15, 2012
John A. Warnick, Treasurer and Board Member, International Association of Advisors In Philanthropy
“Enzo’s expertise, dedication to clients and energy for new projects are admirable. His abilities have been a great asset, and he is a real pleasure to work with.”
Gordon Rein, Director – UBC Sauder School of Business
“Working with Enzo Calamo I found him as a person with great wisdom and deep skills of solutions. Enzo Calamo is a intelligent, personable and creative business partner that cannot be overestimated. Result driven person with a great skill to analyze and summarize ideas. He has an extensive knowledge, and his open-minded approach is quite unique.” February 16, 2012
Adam Strominger, Director of Business Development, Planned Giving Design Center
To learn more about Lugen Family Office, click below:
- Lugen Family Office is a Values Based Expert Network Firm for Affluent Families and Successful Businesses (lugenfamilyoffice.com)
- What is Seven Generation Thinking? (lugenfamilyoffice.com)
- Family Values and Business Values Should Align (lugenfamilyoffice.com)
- Key Questions Every Family Business Needs to Ask Itself on a Yearly Basis (lugenfamilyoffice.com)
- Family Estate Planning Offices (lawprofessors.typepad.com)
- Major Risks To Family Wealth (quadcitywealthplanning.com)
- So You Want To Work At A Family Office? An Exec Explains How You Can Start (businessinsider.com)
- New FOX Report: Accounting and Reporting Consumes Almost a Third of Family Office Time (virtual-strategy.com)
- What is a Family Office? (lugenfamilyoffice.com)
- How to Become a Leader (lugenfamilyoffice.com)